The New York Times, jumped the gun by a few hours but the story is out that Yahoo has acquired my employer Right Media.
There’s really a lot that could be said about it, but I think generally the most important thing is that I’m extremely excited to work with Yahoo to accelerate the exchange model that we’ve been developing at Right Media for the last few years. And more specifically to work with the Yahoo Publisher Network team to expand upon everything they’ve built and what my team has built in our Direct Media Exchange product.
Here are some questions you may be having:
Why did Yahoo acquire Right Media?
Well, we should probably ask Yahoo! specifically, I won’t speak for them. I’ll link to their comments as they come available. But so far Terry Semel said this:
“The acquisition of Right Media will further Yahoo!’s goal to create the industry’s most open, accessible and vibrant advertising marketplace, which will help democratize the buying and selling of digitally enabled advertising,” said Terry Semel, chairman and CEO of Yahoo!. “This acquisition is an important step in our long-term vision to build the industry’s leading advertising and publisher ecosystem. We believe that Yahoo!’s open approach is a clear differentiator from others in the industry and provides significant benefits to advertisers, publishers and Yahoo! itself.”
What does $680 million for 80% value Right Media at?
$680 million for the remaining 80% that Yahoo! didnâ€™t yet own is equal to an $850 million in total valuation.
What does this mean for the Direct Media Exchange product?
We can’t start working with the team at Yahoo until the SEC approves everything, but we’ll be working on making Direct Media Exchange better in the near term as well as working with Yahoo to build new and improved publisher solutions.
What does this mean for you personally?
Hopefully all good things, I’m excited to work with Yahoo to build better solutions for publishers and learn from all the incredible people there. Yahoo will now have an office where we are in beautiful Eugene, Oregon.
Obviously I’ll keep everyone up to date as I can.
- Yahoo! Announces Agreement to Acquire Right Media, Largest Emerging Online Advertising Exchange – Official Press Release
- Yahoo to Buy Ad Company in Bid to Compete With Google – New York Times
- One Giant Leap for the Exchange, and for Interactive Advertising – Right Media Blog
- Breaking: Yahoo Acquires RightMedia for $680 Million – Mashable
- Democracy and the Online Ad – Yodel Anecdotel
- Yahoo! Serioius! – OffTheIsland
- Yahoo! Buys Right Media (Big Surprise) – Tech Beat
- Yahoo to Acquire Right Media Ad Company – Search Engine Journal
- Yahoo to Acquire Right Media – Search Engine Watch
- Yahoo Acquires Right Media – Bill Wise
- Yahoo’s newest acquisition – DogBallsBlog
- Yahoo answers GoogleClick, buys Right Media for $680M – Venturebeat
- Right Idea – A VC
- Yahoo’s $680m Reasons for Goto.com 2.0 – Ben Barren
- Online Advertising in an IP-Enabled World – Flashpoint
- Yahoo buying Right Media for $680 Million – WebMetricsGuru
- Yahoo Fully Acquires Right Media – Marketing Pilgrim
- Yahoo Buys Ad Company to Compete with Google’s Acquisition of DoubleClick – Search Engine Roundtable
- Yahoo To Acquire Right Media; Joins Google In Buying, Rather Than Building, Display Ad Network – SearchEngineLand
- Yahoo will buy the rest of Right Media – Moneyweb
- Yahoo Acquires Right Media – Cost Per News
- Yahoo makes its move, snags Right Media, an ad-exchange – GigaOm
- Yahoo! buys Right Media, a smart move to defend its online ad leadership – Charlene Li (Forrester)
- Yahoo Buys Right Media – Threadwatch
- Yahoo Buying Right Media – Screenwerk
- Web advertising gone wild – Don Dodge
- Yahoo buys rest of Right Media for $680 million – ZDNet
- Yahoo! Acquires Ad Firm Right Media For $680 Million – Wired Epicenter
- Panama Not Enough To Battle Google: Yahoo Acquires RightMedia – TechCrunch
- Yahoo Exchanges $680 Million For Right Media – WebProNews
- Yahoo Fully Acquires Right Media – DigitalGrit
- Yahoo Goes Yard. Pays $680M For Rest of Right Media – alarm:clock
- Congratulations to Right Media! – Cody Simms (Kid’s Allright)
- Yahoo Is The New Owner of Right Media – BigGreenBlog
- Yahoo to Buy Online Ad Company Right Media – NYT Dealbook
- Yahoo: No impact from Right Media buy until 2008 – Google Watch
- Is Yahooâ€™s price wrong for Right Media? – CNNMoney.com
- I Got Me An Ad Exchange Too: Yahoo Buys RightMedia – John Battelle’s Searchblog
- Right Media and Yahoo’s New Star System – Business 2.0 Beta
- What? You Thought Yahoo Was Going to Use a Google-Owned Ad-Serving System? – All Things Digital
- Yahoo Purchase of Right Media Gives It Added Liquidity, Exit From DoubleClick – Seeking Alpha
- Yahoo – EightFiveThree
- Yahoo Acquires my Rockin’ Employer: Right Media – The Green V